- Race for Life Wednesday the 27th May: Many thanks to all of the volunteers from the club who have offered to help cancer research raise £50,000 + at Penzance Race for Life. Phil needs the marshals, the lead runner,a sweeper and finish line helpers to be at the Wharfside car park by 5-45pm at the latest for a 6pm briefing. It’s Hayle Runners that make the race for life happen in Penzance; without your support it just wouldn’t work..
- Many thanks to all those who ran and helped in this years St Ives Bay 10k.Ben Price of Cheltenham Harriers won the race for the third year in succession with Julian Mann of Winchester AC in second and Lewis Hill of Hayle Runners in third. Our own Emma Schuck won the women’s race with her sister and fellow Hayle Runner Lucy Paull in second and a tie for third place between Eleanor Dixon and Zoe McKune. There was a record turnout in the fun run with more than 50 taking part including a large contingent from Hayle Juniors. The boys race was a Hayle Juniors 1/2 won by Aaron Perry with Jude Hardy in second and Sam Wisner in third.Kezia Elliot was the first girl home with Abigail Jose in second and Jess Hutchinson in third. Many thanks to Hayle Deputy Mayor Nick Farrar who presented the medals, our hosts Hayle Surf Life Saving Club who put on a great BBQ and St Johns who were in attendance. The full results are published here St Ives Bay 10k – 26th May 15
- Come and hear Mara Yamauchi at Hayle Rugby Club on Friday 19th June at 6-30pm -8pm. Entry by tickets free to Hayle runners and members of other DAN clubs. Enter via this link https://mara2015.eventbrite.co.uk
- Scott Abraham Head Coach of Hayle Runners has been officially recognised by the Cornwall Road Running Group Grand Prix for completing 100 consecutive Grand Prix races following the recent Trevornick race. The Grand Prix includes 15 races every year varying in length from 4 miles to a marathon (26.2 miles) and as a result it has taken Scott over 6 years to reach this achievement. He is the second Hayle Runner to hit a ton. Craig Tonkin Hayle Runners team captain had previously reached the milestone.
Simon Knowles Hayle Runners men’s team captain paid tribute to Scott;-
Scott is a great ambassador for Hayle Runners as well as being ever present at races he is our Head Coach and helps members with training plans and at our weekly Carn Brea Track sessions. He also coordinates our Junior Club. Reaching 100 consecutive runs is a tremendous feat and we are very proud of him.’
- Press release- Hayle Runners tackle Trevornick
Hayle Runners took a strong team to the Trevornick 10 mile off road race near Newquay.42 members of the club took completed the Race which was the 5th race in this seasons Cornwall Grand Prix. The race is one of the toughest of the season taking place along the undulating coastal path and trails around Holywell Bay.
Jordan Morant had a fantastic run finishing in fifth place overall and winning his under 35 age category in a time of 1 hour 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Jordan led the Hayle Runners men’s team to their first victory of the season and was supported by Rich Savage who won his 45-49 age category, Steve Wyatt second in his 40-44 age category, Simon Knowles third in his 40-44 age category, Loyd Purvis and Lewis Hill. The Hayle Women’s team took second place in the female competition behind Cornwall Athletic Club led home by Charlotte Bennett who won her 40-44 age category and supported by Debbie Webb who was 3rd in her 45-49 age category, Amy Jose, Lucy Paull, Andrea Spencer-Smith and Rachel Bowker. Diane Warren also won a prize for second place in her 60-64 age group.
Women’s team captain Charlotte Bennett said
‘There was a number of great performances throughout the field on a very tough course, It was great to see so many of the club taking part and giving it a go.’
- Hayle Runners were out in force taking part in the London Marathon and the Shakespeare Marathon and Half Marathon. 31 members of the club completed the London Marathon many of whom were raising money for charity. Rich Savage was the first club member to finish in 2 hours 57 minutes less than a week after finishing the Boston Marathon in 2 hours 58 minutes. Charlotte Bennett was the first female from the club to finish in a new personal best time of 3 hours 16 minutes. Next in was Faye Toms who also had completed the Boston Marathon . Her time at London was 3 hours 38 minutes compared to Boston’s 3 hours 28 minutes.
At the Shakespeare Marathon festival at Stratford on Avon 11 members of the club completed the Marathon with Scott Abraham leading the team home to win the team competition in a time of 3 hours 1 minute. He was supported by Simon Knowles, Matt Curtis and Kevin King. Rachel Bowker led the Hayle women home in 3 hours 49 minutes to make it a double celebration by winning the womens team competition. She was supported by Helen Rule, Narina Shorland and Sarah Lund.
In the half marathon event Steve Cooling was first home in 1 hour 38 minutes and Melissa Poultney was first woman home in 1 hour 56 minutes. Full results hereHayle Runners London Marathon,Shakespeare Marathon and half Marathon Results April 2015
- Hayle Juniors presentation night. Hayle Junior Athletics Club have held their annual awards presentation at Hayle Community School.
The awards have been sponsored by Hayle Rotary club and Norman Emberson a representative of the club gave awards to Tom Holman who won Hayle Juniors athlete of the year.
Head Coach for the club ,Scott Abraham said
‘Tom was a fine example to the other children in the club with his commitment to long distance running and his general all round enthusiasm, he is a deserving winner’.
Imogen Murray won the award for the best attendee of the year.
Hayle Juniors Athletic Club meets at Hayle School at 5:30 during term time. We have a number of qualified coaches and assistant coaches. All juniors are welcome, and the first week is free.
- Membership is now due. Membership is due from 1st March and cost £35 per year including English Athletics subscription. Members can renewing by cash or cheque at the club on Tuesday to Rachel or Track on Thursdays to Andy or Bank transfer (details from Jackie). You can also pay by PayPal ( although this costs us a fee) Under 20’s pay £15. See membership pages above for forms and further details.
- Hayle Runners Race Entries for GP races are now being taken online. www.hayle-runners-race-entrys.
co.uk is now live and will automatically point at the next race. Any members who have difficulty can enter via Sarah Newing at the club on Tuesday evenings. Refunds can be made up to when the entry goes in (normally two weeks before) after that it becomes non refundable unless you or we can find someone to take your place.
- Why not start running? Join Hayle Runners as a beginner – more details here – January Run Cornwall.
- Parkrun. Park Run is now on at Penrose estate Helston every Saturday at 9am. It is free to enter but you do need to download a bar code from the Park Run website if you want an official time. They also need helpers as well.You can either do this on line or speak to Diane Warren at the club.li>
- ‘Give Running a Go’. Hayle Runners are calling on young people to come and give running a go at Carn Brea Leisure Centre on Thursday evenings at 7pm. Hayle Runners aims to attract 14-25 year olds to try out running supported by qualified Coaches and Leaders. This is the second time the club has run a series of sessions specifically aimed at young people and Scott Abraham the Project Co-ordinator feels it offers a great opportunity for those wanting to give the sport a try. For more details read this Press Release.
- Down here on holiday? Visitors, fast or slow, are always welcome to run with us. Just turn up at about 6.45 at Hayle Rugby Club on a Tues (main club night) or Thurs night or Sunday morning session. Or call us first if you prefer.
Entries for GP races are now being taken online – www.hayle-runners-race-entrys.